There is no doubt metals are usually prone to rust, tarnishing and corrosion. As such, it is important to protect the surface of the metal to extend its life. What’s the best way to protect the metal surfaces from rust and corrosion? The best and proven way is to use a clear coat made for metal.
A clear coat is a clear layer of paint that can be applied on different metal surfaces to prevent fading and oxidizing. It protects surfaces from the harsh effects of UV rays, resists rust, corrosion and tarnishing.
Applying a clear coat also gives the metal surface a complete makeover and preserves its natural appearance by making it shiny and attractive.
However, with the myriad of products out there in the market, it is difficult to choose the right clear coat for your product. This is why we researched the best products that are durable and perfect for different metal surfaces.
After 72 hours, we have discovered 10 best clear coat for metal. Read on to see the reviews of all the products.
Our Picks the Best Clear Coat for Metal in 2020
| Everbrite 4 Oz.|
|Check Price||2.57 ounces||10|
|Check Price||16 ounces||10|
4 Oz. Clear
|Check Price||5.6 ounces||10|
| Krylon K05160202|
|Check Price||1 pound||9.5|
| Krylon K09198000|
|Check Price||14.4 ounces||9.5|
| Everbrite 16|
|Check Price||1.28 pounds||9.4|
| KBS Coatings|
|Check Price||1.13 pounds||9.3|
|Check Price||15.2 ounces||9.0|
|Check Price||1 pound||9.0|
| POR-15 45004|
|Check Price||2.29 pounds||9.5|
1. EverBrite Clear Coat 4 oz – Good for Restoring Surfaces
The EverBrite Clear Coat is tough, durable and dependable. It is capable of protecting and restoring almost 25 square feet of metal with just one coat. It provides long-term protection from oxidation, UV rays, corrosion, rust, fading acid rain, bleach and tarnishing.
When applied as directed, the EverBrite Clear Coat will not crack, chip, peel or turn yellowish. This clear coat is perfect for both indoor and outdoor metals.
It can be applied with a clear coat applicator pad, sponge brush, natural brush, an airbrush or a paint sprayer.
- Scratch-resistant – EverBrite Clear coat is not only scratch-resistant but also abrasion-resistant.
- Protective against UV rays – UV rays damage metal surfaces pretty quickly. But with the EverBrite Clear Coat, metal surfaces are effectively protected from the damaging effects of UV rays.
- Prevents fading – Fading of metals becomes a thing of the past with this clear coat. It also prevents chalking, oxidation, corrosion and rust.
2. Rust-Oleum American Accents – Decent Clear Finish
The Rust-Oleum is 2X clear compared to other clear coats. It seals, protects, revitalizes and bonds to plastic. It is fast-drying, non-yellowish and UV rays-resistant.
The paint can be used on both internal and external surfaces including metal, plastic, wood, wicker, unglazed ceramic and plaster.
- Gloss finish –The Rust-Oleum clear coat provides an incredible gloss finish. It provides fresh and long-lasting shine to surfaces.
- Long-lasting protection – The durability of this coat is enduring. It gives any surface long-lasting protection.
- Easy to apply– The application of the paint is super easy. It comes with any-angle spray comfort tips to reach difficult-to-paint areas with ease. Using the tip helps to reduce finger fatigue. This paint requires no priming and dries in less than 30 minutes.
3. ProtectaClear Coating – Great Protection Option
If you are looking for a clear coat that makes your metal look freshly polished all the time, this coating is highly recommended.
It delivers an excellent finish that provides long-lasting protection against rust, corrosion, saltwater, acid rain, bleach, pollution, bird droppings and mildew. Its resistance to chlorine makes it ideal for indoor and outdoor metal that are by the poolside.
- Incredible protection – The ProtectaClear Coating provides incredible protection for different metals such as brass, copper, stainless steel, aluminum, sinks and more. It protects against oxidation, tarnish, corrosion, rust and other damaging elements.
- Great resistance – This paint provides exceptional resistance against chlorine and salts making it suitable for metals that are close to the ocean or pool environments.
- Fasting drying time –You don’t have to wait for days before this paint dries no matter the surface type. It takes a maximum of 3 hours to get dry after its application.
4. ColorMaster Paint & Primer – Top Application Clear Coat
Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer provides impressive colour, coverage, control and performance in one can of convenience. It is made with ColorMax technology that does not make the coating wash out colours.
The paint allows a 4-hour recoat window for additional coats to give your work a smooth and flawless finish that gives your projects a professional look.
What you get is a fast-drying and long-lasting performance. EZ Touch conical spray tip makes spraying super easy. The tip makes finger fatigue a thing of the past.
- Easy application – The paint is easy and convenient to spray with the spray tip that eliminates finger fatigue. With the spray tip, difficult areas can easily be reached. It reduces overspray with no drips and no runs.
- Extended coverage – The clear coat provides extended coverage with bright, shiny colour and excellent performance. It provides long-lasting shine for both indoor and outdoor surfaces such as metal, wood, wicker and more.
- Fast drying time – There is no waiting for days. The paint dries in less than 25 minutes.
5. Krylon CoverMaxx Paint Spray – Great Application Spray
Providing great adhesion and rust protection, the Krylon CoverMaxx Spray Paint delivers superior colour and exceptional coverage. It comes with an easy-to-push spray tip for a convenient spray to reduce finger fatigue.
This product works as both paint and primer that can be applied on metal, wood, plastic, glass, wicker and more. The product is fade-resistant. It preserves every indoor and outdoor project with a long-lasting shine.
- Great adhesion and performance – CoverMaxx performs well both indoor and outdoor. The adhesion is also long-lasting. It delivers consistent shine all year round.
- Easy application – Apply the paint with ease with the spray tip that allows you to reach difficult areas. The use of the spray tip helps to relieve you of finger fatigue.
- Quick-drying time – The paint dries in just 10 minutes giving you a fast turnaround time for each project.
6. EverBrite 16 oz. – Clear Protective Coating for Metal
Restore the colour and luster of faded painted surfaces with the EverBrite Clear Coating. This paint helps to seal and protect the metal from fading, rust, tarnish, oxidation, chalking, corrosion and even UV rays. It also prevents stains and drips.
This coating is perfect for different surfaces such as metal roofs, garage doors, curtain wall, storage doors, metal siding, copper roofs and more. Two coats are recommended for any projects for a long-lasting result. It comes with an applicator, nitrile gloves and written instructions.
- Elements resistance – The coating resists elements that cause rust, corrosion, oxidation, fading, tarnishing, and chalking
- Restores colour – It restores the colour and luster of different metal surfaces and brings them back to life into shiny and attractive metals
- Seals rusted metal – It easily seals rusted metal and prevents stains and drips that cause damage to the metal.
7. KBS Coatings 8304 – Clear Diamond Finish, 16 oz
The KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat is formulated for direct application to metal or over other applied coatings. Its application requires no additives.
This coat offers durability and flexibility with resistance to chemical and corrosion. Minimal surface preparation is needed before a direct application.
The solution remains permanently flexible and can perform well even in extreme conditions without cracking, yellowing and peeling. A brush, roller or spray gun can be used to apply the paint without leaving any brush marks.
- Requires no hardener – This coating can be used straight without the need for hardener. Just stir and start painting. It cures without heat or UV lights with temperatures that are above 50 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Resists chemicals – The Clear Diamond Finish resist chemicals. It also resistant to acid, corrosion and the elements
- Prevents cracks – There are no cracks or peeling after the application of the coat. It is capable of withstanding extreme conditions.
8. Rust-Oleum 7701830 – Stops Rust Spray Paint
This is the number one rust-preventive paint. It is reliable and dependable with great performance. The paint provides lasting protection with exceptional coverage and finish. With the any-angle technology spray, it is easy to spray hard-to-reach areas with a comfortable spray tip that reduces finger fatigue usually caused by continuous spraying.
This is the ultimate protective clear coating that is perfect for both indoor and outdoor projects. It is durable and corrosion-resistant. It provides extra protection against chipping, rust and tarnishing. This paint can be used alone or as a sealer that can be applied on top of another coating.
- Resistance to elements – This paint gives your surfaces a shiny look that lasts for a long time. It provides resistance to elements such as rust, chipping, corrosion, chalking and more.
- Ease to handle – When it comes to spraying the paint, it is super easy. It comes with a spray tip that reduces finger fatigue so you can spray for a longer time.
- Glossy finish – The finish is alluring. It gives your projects a lasting durable finish and shinny
9. SprayMax 3680061 – Top Application Clear Coat
If you are looking for an acrylic clear coating that is smooth with a quick-dry formula, go for the SprayMax2K. It gives every project a gloss finish that lasts. Spraying is extremely easy with the unique nozzle that delivers great spray gun results. More areas are covered in less time with the spray gun technology with less overspray.
This coating is resistant to chemicals and weather to make the surface long-lasting and durable. It requires no mixing with any other solutions. Just shake and spray. It is that easy.
- Easy to apply – The spray gun technology of this coating makes it easy to apply. The innovative nozzle technology helps you to achieve a higher yield and faster spray time allowing for an even spray pattern and less overspray.
- Weather-resistant – SprayMax is weather-resistant making it suitable for indoor and outdoor projects. It is also resistant to chemical, abrasion and scratch.
- Lasting protection – The gloss coat provides lasting and durable protection to different applications with a shiny finish.
10. POR-15 – Clear Rust Preventive Coating
The POR-15 Clear Rust Coating is designed to be applied directly on rusted or sandblasted metal surfaces. Its advanced formula is designed to work well with the toughest projects where rust and corrosion resistance is of high priority. The coating protects metal against salt, chemicals and moisture.
It is also resistant to acids and alkalis. This coat repels oils and fuels. It is self-leveling making it easy to apply. Wear gloves and a respirator before applying the coating
- Smooth finish – The paint provides a smooth and glossy finish after every application to give your projects a professional look.
- Prevents rust – It prevents rust to give your projects a rust-free appearance. After drying, it won’t chip, crack or peel
- UV light sensitive – This solution is sensitive to UV light. As such, it must be top coated in case there will be a long exposure to sunlight.
– Buyer’s guide –
Choosing the best clear coat for metal requires that you do some level of research before you make a purchase. There are many inferior products out there. This is why it is important to know what to look out for. Before you buy any clear coat, here is what you will have to consider.
Clear coats just have to be clear. If it is not clear, then, it is of low-quality. A very clear coat improves the appearance of the painted surface without affecting the shade of the foundation paint. Ensure that the paint is really clear before you pay for it.
It is also important to note that transparency does not necessarily mean that the coat is strong and durable.
Shine and color
Colour plays an important role when it comes to the metal surface you want to paint. Finding the right color that matches the surface can be difficult. But you can look for something similar without making the surface look odd.
Another way is to choose a completely clear coat without any color. It will save you a lot of stress. Metallic paints are not difficult to find. They will fit well.
Ease of application
A clear coat should be easy to apply. The product must come with a primer. If it does not come with a primer, it will be difficult to apply. Almost all the paints featured in this review come with primers.
Another thing that is important for easy application is if the product comes with a spray nozzle. It helps to achieve an even spray of the surface you want to paint. Nozzles give a shiny and smooth finish. Luckily, they are reusable.
Clear coats have a different level of durability depending on the ingredient they contain and the intended use. For instance, a coat that is meant for indoor won’t be able to withstand the elements such as rain and sunlight when used outside.
Some coats are labeled “indoor and outdoor” but may not perform as much as the specialized coats. If you want a durable coat that can stand against the weather, it makes sense to invest in an outdoor coat.
Metal surfaces are always prone to scratches. Many times, you will have to repaint those areas to cover the scratches. Save yourself a lot of stress by going for a coat that is resistant to scratches. Scratch-resistant coats leave the appearance of the surface shiny and smooth for a long time.
Ensure that the gloss level of the coat is very high. This helps to keep the surface shiny and smooth. If the gloss level is low, the surface will remain drab and unattractive.
How to apply coats for metal
The process of applying coats is very simple and straightforward. Following this process will help to achieve a shiny and glossy surface. Here are the two steps to follow if you want to apply a coat.
Clean the surface
Surface cleaning is the first thing to do before the application of the coat. Wipe the metal surface of dust and paint particles. The surface needs to be cleaned thoroughly to ensure that the coat sticks well and avoids being peeled off.
Apply the clear coat
Use a brush or spray to evenly apply the first layer of coat. Ensure that the first layer of the coat is dry before applying the second coat. The second coat provides an extra layer of protection which helps to give the surface a long-lasting appearance. Leave it for up to 48 hours to properly dry.
You can start to use the metal object after 48 hours but make sure that the object is kept where it doesn’t have to be moved frequently to avoid any accidental damage to the surface.
– FAQs –
How many coats do I need to apply for a smooth and shiny finish?
Answer: You need up to 2 to 3 coats of clear coats to get a nice and shiny finish. 2 to 3 coats guarantees the protection of the surface from rust. If you want to do multiple coats, ensure that the first one is light. This helps to stop the shrinking of the metal.
The shrinking of metal usually leads to cracks. After the first light application, you can heavily apply the subsequent coats.
Wait for the first coat to dry before applying the second coat. Use a sprayer or apply coat slowing to avoid coat thickness.
How long can a clear coat last?
Answer: Dirt and debris can make clear coat to wear off over time. Extra care must be taken to gently remove the buildup of dirt and debris. Dirt and debris can make scratches to appear on metal surfaces. This makes the application of a clear coat difficult.
The longevity of the coat depends on many factors such as weather conditions, conditions of the metal surface and type of product. Washing the surface at least weekly helps to elongate the coat. Also, ensure that the metal surface is placed where there is no moisture. Moisture and wet conditions affect the life of any metal surfaces.
Can rust be prevented by applying a clear coat?
Answer: Clear coat can prevent rust if the clear coat is applied two or three times. The coating can also prevent stains from dripping on the metal surfaces. Rusted metal is a porous metal.
So, you have to make sure that the surface is clean and dry before the application of the coat. If you want the metal to last for a long time, it is ideal to use primer and paint before the application of a clear coat.
Moisture is one of the causes of metal corrosion. A quality clear coat will easily wick out moisture which in turn elongates the life of the metal. When it comes to choosing a clear coat, it is recommended you choose a liquid clear coat instead of the powdery one.
The powdery clear coat usually causes flakes and spots on the metal surface. Also, ensure that the clear coat can resist UV rays. Formulas that don’t prevent UV rays can peel off over time.
The job of the clear coating is to provide protection and longevity for your metal. After reading this article, you may still find it difficult to choose the best clear coat for metal. We have used all the products reviewed in this article.
They are all of great quality and performance. Anyone that you choose will preserve the life of your metal and give it an alluring appearance.