Which is the best drill press for jewelry making? This is probably the question a jewelry maker who is in need of a drill is asking right now. You don’t have to worry. This review is made to help you answer this question convincingly so you can make an informed choice that is worth your investment.
Since there are hundreds of products out there, we know it will a difficult task to choose the right drill especially if you are purchasing it for the first time. So after more than 72 hours conducting research on the different drills in the market, we have come up with quality and durable drills to make your work easier and more convenient.
We have found 5 drills that are sturdy enough to handle your work effectively. All you need is to take a few minutes to read through our review. Read on as we review the drills for Jewelry Making.
Our picks of the top 5 Best Drill Press for Jewelry Making a Comparison Table
|Check Price||5.0||120 Volts|
|Check Price||5.0||110 Volts|
|Check Price||4.8||120 Volts|
|Check Price||4.8||110 Volts|
|Check Price||4.5||120 Volts|
1. WEN 4208 8-In. 5-Speed- Top Jewelry Drill Press Review
If you are looking for a powerful and affordable drill press for your work, the WEN 4208 drill will be an excellent option. The WEN 4208 tool combines affordability with performance to make your work easier.
It is not only ideal for metalwork but also perfect for wood, plastics and more. It has a modest 1/3 HP inductive motor rated 2.3 amp which is enough to cut through wood and soft metals.
However, this drill press does not produce enough power to cut steel that is thicker than 1/2 inches. When it comes to speed, this tool is exceptionally versatile. The WEN 4208 has 5 speeds.
The 5 variable speeds include 740, 1100, 1530, 2100 and 3140 RPM. The different speeds allow you to adapt to different materials with ease.
This jewelry drill press is sturdy and durable to last for a long time. The table, base and column are constructed from thick cast iron for stability. This machine has been pre-drilled to make it extremely easy to install. It is the right machine for beginners. It has a 1-year warranty.
- Locking depth adjustment – The depth of the adjustment knobs can be easily set to limit the spindle travel so you can have easy and accurate drilling operations
- Beveling worktable – The worktable can bevel 45 degrees to the left and right for precision angled holes.
- Chunk key storage – The onboard key storage allows you to place the chuck key on the attached storage so you can easily have access to it whenever you need it.
- Versatile – Apart from the fact that the WEN 4208 performs efficiently on light metals, it is also perfect for wood and plastics making it ideal for DIY projects
- Build quality – This machine is robustly designed to stand the test of time. It is made with a rigid frame from cast aluminum for durability, stability and sturdiness.
2. SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench – Cheap Jewelry Drill Press
This is another great machine for jewelry making. It is a mini drill offered at an attractive price yet powerful for light metalwork. The machine has a 3-speed variable that performs at 5000, 6500 and 8500 RPM. This model stands out from the rest because of its spindle height of 7½ inches making it ideal for the drilling of fairly large materials.
It has a large working area which makes clamping unnecessary. Weighing just 2.8 pounds, the machine is extremely light and compact to fit into any workshop.
The 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench is great for different types of small projects. It has a maximum drill capacity of 6mm making it excellent for the quick drilling of holes. This makes it more ideal than using hand-held drills. It is a must-have machine for the workshop, home, jewelers, mechanics, woodworkers and crafts.
When it comes to performance, this mini drill press for jewelry is very efficient and powerful. With a 100 watts rated power motor, the machine is able to cut through moderately large metal materials. It is stable when in use with little or no vibrations even at the highest speed setting. This tool has a 3 years warranty.
- Three variable speeds – The three variable speeds of the machine allows you to choose the right speed depending on the material you are working on at any point in time. It works at 5000, 6500 and 8500 per minute. This makes it a versatile drill press bench.
- Multipurpose – This tool does not only serve one purpose. Apart from being used for the drilling of light metals, it can also be useful in the drilling wood and plastics
- 6mm drill capacity – With a maximum drill capacity of 6mm, the 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench is able to drill some larger materials with ease
- 3 wrenches – The package comes with 3 wrenches and a key chuck of 6mm to make your work easier and convenient
- Compact – The machine is very compact. It can fit into any workshop. It is also lightweight making it easy to move from one place to another
3. WEN 4214 12-Inc. Variable Speed Drill Press – Jewelry Stone Drill Press Review
If you are a handyman, jeweler, woodworker or hobbyist, you will find this drill press for jewelry making extremely useful at your workshop. This model offers great performance at an affordable price. It features variable speeds of between 500 to 3200 RPM.
The exact speed that you are on can be seen through the digital LED display. It is built with an inductive motor that has a 2/3 HP with 110V/5Amps. This is enough to drill low-density metal, plastic and wood.
WEN 4214 provides accurate depth and width to make your projects a lot easier. It is not only used for the drilling of metals but can also be used on wood and plastics too.
The workpiece is held in place by clamping it to a vice fastened to the table. This makes it extremely easy to use for beginners. With chunk that has four jaws, the drill can be well gripped for stability.
This machine’s build quality is sturdy and durable. It has an adjustable table that bevels 45 degrees left or right for angled precision. The main parts such as the head, table and base are constructed from cast iron for extended life. It is lightweight making it super easy to move around. There is a 2 years warranty for this product.
- LED screen display – WEN 4214 has a LED screen that displays the current speed of the machine so you know the RPM being used when working on any projects
- Depth adjustable gauge – It comes with knobs for depth adjustment. This helps to limit the spindle travel to give you an accurate drill process
- In-built work light – Illumination is important when working on any projects, especially at night. The onboard work light improves visibility and precision.
- Table roller extension – Workspace is not a problem with the WEN 4214. The table roller can be extended up to 17 inches so you can handle any workpiece conveniently.
- Beveling worktable – You can bevel the worktable 45 degrees to effectively handle any angled drilling work.
4. Small Benchtop Press Drill – Benchtop Jewelry Drill Press
This machine is small in size but powerful when it comes to performance. It is a must-have DIY enthusiast, jewelers, hobbyists, handymen and woodworkers. The tool is convenient to use with variable speeds of up 8500 RPM and easy speed adjustment using a dedicated knob.
Its compact size makes it ideal for a small and cramped workshop. It is also easy to transport from one point to another due to its lightness. The small base is stable and can be clamped to a surface or workbench. It comes with a 5.5 inches cord; 1/4 inches chuck and backed with a 1-year warranty.
In terms of design, the machine is compact but durable. It is made with a combination of steel and strong plastics for sturdiness and durability. The compact size makes it easy to mount on a table, bench, floor or stand. It is easy to use and control. This makes it user-friendly especially for beginners.
The jewelry-making drill delivers impressive performance through 110 volts power rating. It offers three-speed settings ranging from 0 to 8500 RPM to meet your drilling needs. It has a chunk that is able to accept bits of up to 6mm.
- Sturdy construction – This machine is well constructed to last for a long time. The work surface is made from die-cast iron for durability and sturdiness.
- 3 variable speeds – The infinite variable speeds are at your fingertips in three different ranges. Low (0-5000 RPM), Medium (0-6500 RPM), and High (0-8500 RPM).
- Space-saving – The compact design helps to save a lot of space in case there is limited space. It also makes it easy to transport from one point to another.
- Excellent drill capacity – It has a maximum drill capacity of 6mm. This allows holes to be drilled accurately with great precision making it better than a hand drill.
- Low power consumption – If you want to save money on electricity bills, this tool is ideal for you because it consumes less power compared to other power-hungry drill press.
5. WEN 4210T 10 Inc. Drill Press with Laser – Jewelry Drill Press Review
The WEN 4210T is packed with power and reliability. It boasts of a 3.2 motor rated power making it more powerful than the WEN 4208. It features 5 speeds to cut through materials such as wood, metal, plastics and more.
The 5 speeds of 600, 1100, 1700, 2400 and 3100 RPM make it versatile enough for you to choose the right RPM for your project.
Constructed from a rigid frame from cast iron, the WEN4210T Drill Press provides durability and sturdiness. The induction motor is made with bearings to extend the life of the machine. You can work on a variety of bits with the 1/2-inch chuck and JT33 spindle taper.
It has a worktable that is designed to bevel 45 degrees left and right to make it convenient to handle those tricky jobs that require angle holes with precision. There is no guesswork with the X-pattern laser lock-on that provides precision drill points for your metal. This is an excellent jewelry drill for stones. It comes with a 2 years warranty.
- Beveling worktable – The beveling worktable makes working on any projects easier. You can bevel the worktable 45 degrees left or right to ensure you have a precise angled drilling
- Work light – With an onboard LED work light, every piece is well illuminated especially when working at night to improve visibility and precision
- 5 speeds – Choose the right speed to suit your material. There are 5 speeds to choose from. The speeds are 600, 1100, 1700, 2400 and 3100 RPM. Easily adjust the spindles to set the appropriate speed
- Laser precision – With the laser precision, there are no longer mistakes when it comes to the exact spot that the bit will pass through for precision whenever you are drilling
- Cast iron base – For extra stability, the machine has a cast iron base to make it stay in place to prevent vibrations when drilling
– Buyer’s guide –
There is no doubt a press drill is an important tool for jewelers. Using a press drill is more suitable for making spaced holes than a handheld power drill. It is highly functional and versatile than any handheld power drill. The problem is that there are many inferior press drills out there.
So purchasing a durable and quality tool can be difficult. There are factors to consider before purchasing a press drill. This is why this buyer’s guide is handy. Here are the things to look out for when buying a press drill.
There are mainly two major parts of a press drill. These are the base and head. The base provides stability to make the machine stay in place. A wide base provides more stability. It makes sense to choose a press drill made of cast iron or steel. The head is another important. It must also be strong and durable.
The head contains the motor and the belt. It is the belt that transfers the motor’s power to the spindle. A well-made head improves the durability of the machine. Another part is the column. It connects the base to the head.
The column should be made of steel. The table is another important part. It must be water-resistant. All of these guarantee the durability of the press drill.
Ease of use
No one enjoys complications with their tools. As such, a good press drill should be easy to use especially for beginners. Look for one with ON/OFF switch for easy control.
Portability and compatibility
If you operate from a workshop where space is limited, it only makes to purchase a portable and compact machine. A larger machine will impede the free flow of operations in the workshop. A mini-press drill is easy to move from place to place especially if you are a contractor or if you don’t have a stationary place to install the machine permanently.
Choose a press drill that is versatile. At least, a mini-press drill has three variable speeds to accommodate different types of materials. The chunk should also be able to hold a variety of drill bits.
How to use a drill for jewelry making
A mini-press drill is what you need to make any type of jewelry. With it, you can transform any material such as stone pebble, glass or shell into any jewelry design. If you are using a mini-press drill for jewelry for the first time, this is how to use it.
Step 1 – Place the object you want to drill on a steel table. Look for a center point on the object. Just tap it to create a shallow hole
Step 2 – Set the machine to medium-high speed. Point to the shallow hole and drill the object
Step 3 – After drilling the holes, it is time to clean up the blurs around the hole to make it smooth. You can use sandpaper to clean it up.
How can I drill holes in rocks for jewelry?
Whether necklace, pendant or earring, rock jewelry look unique, beautiful and outstanding. But making jewelry out of a rock can be challenging. Let’s help you make it easy by showing you how to drill holes in rocks for jewelry.
Step 1: Get a rock – By now you already have the type of rock you want to use. Some rocks like granite can be very difficult to drill. So we suggest a River stone.
Step 2: Get a small whole saw or use an electric hand drill. Please wear a pair of goggles because rocks can explode without notice. Spin the saw and drill the rock. But remember to make a bit first so you can identify the point you want to drill.
Step 3: Drill the hole – Before drilling the stone, you must, first of all, lubricate the rock. Water is okay. There is no need for any special lubricant. Or you can dip the rock in water inside a container and drill if you don’t mind the splashes of water on you.
Step 4: Use a long bit to connect the holes so the holes can be opened
Step 5: Connect the necklace to the rock pendant and wear.
How can I drill a small hole in wood?
Most home improvement jobs require you to drill a hole. It may be holes for hinges, screws or for other purposes. The right tool is an electric drill with drill bits. Drill bits come in different sizes.
Some drills are for drilling woods while others are for masonry and concrete. If you want to drill small holes in wood, this is how to go about it.
Step 1: First is to measure the width of the wood you want to drill. This is to ensure the drill bit is long enough to drill the hole to the other side of the wood
Step 2: Choose the right type of bit
Step 3: Make a mark on the point you want to drill using a pencil
Step 4: Make a small hole at the point you want a drill using a hammer and nail
Step 5: Put the drill bit inside the hole
Step 6: Start to drill at a low speed. Increase the speed gradually as you drill. Reduce the speed when the hole has been made.
Which “best drill for jewelry making” should you choose?
Choosing the best drill press for jewelry making is not as easy as picking a book from the shelf. Everything depends on the material you intend to drill. The material determines if you need a smaller drill bit or a longer one.
The size of the drill bit also matters. A 0.5mm drill helps you to drill smaller holes while a 1.5mm tool can drip larger holes. This is what you should have in mind when choosing a drill.
Our 5 best drills for jewelry making will help you to make a good choice. Any of these tools that you choose has been tested and trusted. They are all durable and sturdy. If you are finding it hard to make up your mind, recommend the WEN 4210T 10 Inches Drill Press with Laser or WEN4208 8-Inch 5-Speed Drill Press. Another option is the SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench. Whichever one you choose, will make a great investment for you in the long term.